This article shows you how to find nth smallest value in a data table by using the SMALL function.
=SMALL(absolute data range reference, nth)
- Start with =SMALL( function
- Select the range that contains the values $B$2:$G$7,
- Select the cell that contains the nth value or you can manually enter the value I3
- Type ) to finish and complete the formula.
The SMALL function returns the nth smallest value in a data table. The SMALL function has two arguments; first one is an array of values, and the second one is the position of the smallest value.
The function returns #NUM! under these circumstances:
- If array is empty
- If n is greater that the number of data points. For example; if array has 5 items, however you try to get 10th smallest item.
- If n <= 0
To get the minimum value, you can also use the MIN function.
Also see related article how to find nth largest value in a data table.