You can sort data easily from A to Z, or 0 to 9, in ascending or descending order. But what if you want to sort data in a different way, say starting with “Low”, then “Medium”, and “High”? In this article, we’re going to show you how to sort in Excel in a custom order.
- Begin by selecting your data.
- Click the Sort icon under the DATA tab.
- Select the column name you want to sort.
- Select the Custom List… option under the Order drop-down.
- In the Custom List window, enter the items to form your custom list, and remember to put a comma in between items.
- Select the list you just created from the Custom List menu and click Add.
- Click OK. Now, you should see your custom list selected under the Order column.
- Click OK to apply your settings.